Dear ESDSWG members,

Even though a government shutdown appears extremely likely at this point, I have decided NOT to explicitly cancel the meeting at this time.  There is still a chance, however vanishingly small, that the shutdown will not happen and I would hate to cancel for no reason.  As you know, the annual meeting is a key part of the ESDSWG's activities.  Because of our inability to hold meetings offsite due to NASA conference restrictions and the high demand for meeting space here at GSFC, the next available window of time to hold a face-to-face meeting would be the week of February 3, 2014.  I believe that would impact our work in a negative way.

SO, since most of you who are traveling had planned to do so tomorrow, October 1, there is still time to wait and see what happens.  But I would offer you the following guidance.

  • If Congress reaches some agreement by tomorrow morning to fund the government, at least through the end of this week, then the meeting is on.
  • If Congress does not reach an agreement in time and the government does shut down, the meeting is canceled.
  • If you need to make a decision about your travel or leave for the airport before the status becomes clear, then you should cancel your travel arrangements.
  • If the meeting does take place but you are unable to attend because of these circumstances, we will make every effort to include you virtually if you so desire.

I understand that this is trying for everybody and I appreciate your patience.  Please let me or Steve Olding know if you have any questions or concerns or if anything is not clear.  I sincerely hope to see all of you on Wednesday.

Best regards,

Jeff Walter

  • No labels